Established in America in 1873 by British-born brothers William and James, Horlick’s produced a powdered malted milk drink originally called Diastoid. In 1908, the brothers built their first UK factory in Slough at a cost of £28,000 on a plot of land purchased from Eton College. By 1969 the extended factory produced 30 million pounds of powder per year.
The original factory has been extended over the years, and a number of additional manufacturing buildings have been erected around it. The L&H masterplan commissioned by GSK seeks to retain the original factory buildings as they stood in 1939 converting them into 220 apartments with ancillary leisure facilities including a gym and a new central covered and ventilated atrium. The rest of the site would be cleared and around 540 new homes and apartments developed into market, PRS and affordable homes in a mixture of houses and apartments. A new nursey school, a Horlicks museum/cafe and some commercial offices/retail were also planned for the site.
The site is planned around a central linear park replacing the existing open space that was the former factory sports ground. The site has a number of artesian wells that produced the natural water originally used in the manufacturing process and the park would be turned into a water park using this natural resource and enhancing thus the living environment and combining children’s play areas.
The scale of the development has been carefully planned so as not to obscure views to the factory building which is one of the few surviving landmarks in Slough and is Locally Listed. Apartment buildings are designed to overlook the new park all with all flats having balconies or terraces whilst the scale reduces by designing townhouses adjacent to the existing housing to the north. Parking is accommodated in existing factory service yards and as undercroft or courtyard areas keeping the central park open as landscaped amenity space.
In terms of town planning, the masterplan incorporates new pedestrian and cycle routes across the site linking the local neighborhood to the town centre and railway station. Two successful pre-application meetings were held with Slough Borough Council and their highway consultants and the masterplan adjusted to incorporate their comments. The site has been marketed for sale by CBRE.