Charles Stewart House, situated on Chamber Street, Edinburgh, was originally built in 1875. It currently houses the University Finance department. The initial phase of refurbishment works at the Grade B listed building has been successfully delivered, providing a new corporate entrance and reception.
Demolition of partition walls around the existing reception area and the formation of new stud partition walls / glazed screens have create a more logical entrance sequence, involving a wind lobby, waiting area, bespoke reception desk and meeting suite.
The external works involved the removal of 3 no. stone entrance steps to create a level threshold. Internally the floor level, immediately adjacent to the entrance, has been lowered to the level of the external pavement. The installation of a discreet internal platform lift thus ensures full access for all to the main reception level.
Photography by John Need