Charles Stewart House, situated on Chamber Street, Edinburgh, was originally built in 1875. L&H completed Phase 2 of the refurbishment works which comprise of a new staff breakout area, meeting room and gender neutral toilets.
Formed within a Grade B Listed building, the new staff breakout area creates a central hub in the building for staff to eat and informal gatherings to take place. A fully accessible kitchen and moveable furniture allows the space to be used by all users, whilst the timber battens continue the architectural language used in the previously handed over Entrance/Reception Area Works.
A new suite of gender neutral toilets have been formed alongside the breakout area, acting as a pioneer in institutional WC provision. An existing small teapoint has been repurposed as a rooflit meeting space.
These upgrade works, along with the completed entrance/reception area form part of a larger strategy to improve a significant staff building that forms a central part of the University estate.
Photography: John Need